Wednesday, April 23, 2014

20th Anniversary of Mobile Fighter G Gundam


Yesterday, April 23rd marked the 20th anniversary of my favorite anime of all time, Mobile Fighter G Gundam! I have loved the series since I first saw the pilot episode on GMA 7 in my teen years, just barely catching it when I got home from school. Sadly, it was not until I was able to graduate from college and score my first few payslips that I was finally able to buy a full series DVD of this series and start my collection. 

After 12 years, here is my Mobile Suit in Action G Gundam figure collection: 


Here's a breakdown of every unit in the pic. (Apologies in advance if some of the units aren't too clear since I only used a phone cam to take this). 
1st row (L-R) Sekiha Love Love Teknyoken Domon and Rain Gashapon, Shining and God (Burning) Gundam
2nd row (L-R) Skull, Nether, Zebra, Rose, Maxter, Dragon, Bolt, Lumber, Viking, Mermaid
3rd row (L-R) Asura, Butler Bensouman, Spiegel (Shadow), Nobell, Zeus with mobile Chariot
4th row (L-R) Jester, Nero, John Bull (Royal), Haoh, Rising, Mandala, Matador
5th Row (L-R) Cobra, Walter, Master Gundam with Fuunsaiki, Devil (Dark) Gundam final form, Ultimate Gundam (Devil Gundam first form), Death Army
Last row (L-R) Heaven's Sword (Raven), DX 7.5" God (Burning) Gundam, Sphinx Gundam, Minaret (Scimitar)

I have a lot of love for this series. I remember that fateful day of just walking inside SM Southmall's Toy Kingdom and picking up my very first MSiA, the God Gundam, with only 500 pesos in my wallet and some change. I remember opening the transparent cover and releasing the toy from its box for the first time, performing poses and exchanging the hands, putting on those orange translucent hands and shouting "God finger" in the recesses of my mind. Ah, what nostalgia! And after that, the rest is history. 

I guess I just really love this series so much that even after 12 years, it still stirs up my blood whenever I hear its music or hear Domon's final attack words. It's so nostalgic and empowering (at least for me) that I can honestly say that I wouldn't have been able to come through from so many hard times in life without at least some semblance of G Gundam presence in them. 

Anyway, to the series, happy 20th anniversary G Gundam! Hope you'll still stick with me for another 12 years or more and hopefully, my son will grow to love you as much as I have. 



Sore de wa! Gundam Fighto! Ready? Go! (And with that, Gundam Fight! Ready? Go!)

2 comments:

  1. Awesome collection! I love the weird designs of a lot of the Gundams in G Gundam, and I've wanted Gunpla of them (like the Viking, Mermaid, Lumber) but I don't think they exist.... I'm glad they exist in some form though. Now I just need to track them down....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! LOL. Unfortunately, Bandai only made gunpla of the Shuffle Alliance and Master Gundams in 1/144. The Devil/Dark Gundam I believe is in non-scale and SD format. God, Shining and Master in MG and 1/60. The weirder, less popular units never got their Gunpla releases.

      Delete